Top 11 Products Recommended by Thorne Health Professionals
From promoting basic foundational health to supporting key health concerns (such as immune function, managing stress, better sleep, etc.), we know everyone has different health goals. With that in mind, we have rounded up the top health solutions recommended by Thorne’s health professional customers and the reasons why.
1. D-5,000: Vitamin D Quality on a Whole New Level
Thorne always provides the purest products possible – and vitamin D is no exception. We use no hidden ingredients or fillers like lactose, BHT, BHA, sodium benzoate, or sorbic acid. Most supplement manufacturers purchase vitamin D in a pre-mixed diluted form, meaning the pure vitamin D (in powder form) is mixed with other powdered substances — like magnesium stearate and other fatty acids — that make it easier for the manufacturer to handle and mix a larger quantity of raw material.
However, these manufacturing aids can inhibit the absorption of vitamin D. Our promise is to give you the highest quality supplement humanly possible. Therefore, we purchase undiluted vitamins, including vitamin D, and make our own dilutions using only powders that are non-allergenic, such as magnesium citrate or cellulose. The resultant pre-mixture is then added to the nutritional supplement being made, ensuring the proper amount of each nutrient is contained in each capsule, every time. It’s why D-5,000 is at the top of our health-care professional team’s list.
And to ensure the best way to meet the body’s optimal vitamin D level, consider Thorne’s Vitamin D Test you can take in the comfort of home – no masking up for this one.
2. Berberine-500: A Swiss Army Knife When It Comes to Health Support
Berberine is a well-researched botanical that offers broad support for several health concerns. This natural alkaloid found in several medicinal plants provides benefits for:
- Metabolic Support: Studies show berberine provides metabolic support by helping maintain healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels, decreasing waist-to-hip ratios, and supporting insulin sensitivity.*1-3
- Glucose Metabolism: Several studies demonstrate berberine helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels.*4-6
- Heart support: A study showed berberine supports healthy heart function and blood pressure.*7 The study also showed those taking berberine had better walking endurance compared to controls.*7
- Berberine supports gut health by supporting normal intestinal function and promoting normal intestinal flora.*
3. Thorne’s Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Products: Basic Nutrients for Healthy Living
A foundational multi-vitamin/mineral supplement is the starting point for every individual’s supplementation needs, which is why all Thorne “multi-” formulas contain the nutrients essential to health and wellbeing.* Because nutrient needs vary from person to person and depend on multiple factors, including activity level, age, and gender, Thorne offers several different multi-vitamin/mineral supplements to meet individual nutrient needs.
We also believe that by using the purest possible, most absorbable raw ingredients – those without unnecessary additives and preservatives – every individual’s outcome will be optimized. Explore Thorne’s complete line or take a quick quiz to find Thorne multi- options that can maximize health.
4. Stress B-Complex: A Formula to Help You Keep Your Cool
With all that’s going on in the world today, it’s no surprise that stress levels are at the top of everyone’s health concerns. The constant flood of daily stressors – combined with environmental pollution and diets high in refined carbohydrates – can over-stimulate and over-tax the adrenal glands, which in turn has an adverse health impact on the immune, cardiovascular, neurological, and endocrine systems, and eventually, on an individual’s long-term health.
Thorne’s Stress B-Complex is the nutritional support answer to better managing stress.* And this complete complex of B vitamins offers extra vitamin B5 to support both healthy adrenal and immune function.*
5. ResveraCel®: The Holy Grail for Healthy Aging
ResveraCel combines resveratrol and nicotinamide riboside – plus additional cofactors in one formula. This exclusive formula enables individuals to act their (cellular) age. In addition to improving metabolism at the cellular level, the individual ingredients in ResveraCel provide these key benefits:
- Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is the most efficient direct precursor to NAD+.* Why is NAD+ important? The mitochondria in all cells cannot perform their crucial function of producing cellular energy without a sufficient supply of NAD+. Nicotinamide Riboside offers fundamental support for multiple mitochondrial activities – from cellular energy production to the regulation of the cell's biochemical reactions and cellular aging.*
- Betaine for healthy methylation.*
- Resveratrol and quercetin to increase the activity of the sirtuin proteins.*
- Quercetin bound to sunflower-sourced phospholipids for enhanced absorption.* In addition to slowing resveratrol breakdown, quercetin phytosome is a potent antioxidant.*
6. Magnesium CitraMate: Magnesium + Citrate and Malate
According to World Health Organization statistics, as many as three of four U.S. adults do not meet the FDA’s Recommended Daily Intake for magnesium.8 That is way less than ideal considering magnesium is involved in more than 600 of the body’s enzymatic reactions.
Thorne’s Magnesium CitraMate is a well-absorbed form of magnesium that supports whole-body health, including key support for healthy heart and skeletal muscles.* Citrate and malate chelates in Magnesium CitraMate also enhance the functioning of the Krebs Cycle, which optimizes energy production.*
7. Meriva 500-SF: The Most Clinically Studied Form of Curcumin on the Market
Meriva 500-SF helps maintain healthy inflammatory responses throughout the body, providing relief from overuse of muscles and joints, and support for healing from injuries.* It is also a potent antioxidant that offers numerous other health benefits, including support for liver, GI, and cardiovascular function.* Because plain curcumin extracts are poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, Meriva’s curcumin phytosome combines curcumin with phospholipids, such as phosphatidylcholine, to yield a formula with significantly better absorption than other curcumin extracts.* In fact, one study demonstrated 29-times greater total curcuminoid absorption from Meriva than from non-complexed curcumin.9
8. Basic B Complex: A B-Complex That is Anything but Basic
Supplementing with tissue-ready B vitamins is important for everyone, especially individuals who are unable to convert non-active B vitamins in the liver to the vitamins’ active forms.* While a B-complex supplement can benefit everyone, certain individuals can find particular benefit from taking a B-complex supplement because of increased need or decreased intake, including:
- Individuals experiencing a lot of stress*
- Women with PMS symptoms*
- Vegans and vegetarians because of decreased intake of certain B vitamins*
- Athletes engaging in strenuous exercise – B vitamins, which are water-soluble, are lost in sweat*
- The elderly because of decreased intake and poor absorption*
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women because of increased need*
- Individuals with GI conditions that result in inadequate intake and absorption*
- Individuals on diuretics or with a health condition that results in increased urination – due to loss in the urine*
- Heavy consumers of alcohol*
Basic B Complex consists of 10 water-soluble B vitamins. Unlike many competing B-complex products, Thorne’s Basic B Complex contains the active forms of several B vitamins (B2, B6, B12, and folate) for enhanced utilization.* The formula consists of: thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin 5'-phosphate (active vitamin B2), niacin and niacinamide (two forms of vitamin B3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (active vitamin B6), methylcobalamin (active vitamin B12), 5-MTHF (active folate), biotin, and choline.
9. Quercetin Phytosome: Plant-based support for immune function and seasonal allergies*
The flavonoid Quercetin is responsible for the bright and beautiful colors in fruits and vegetables like apples, berries, and broccoli.
Quercetin acts as an antioxidant, as well as an immune system modulator, increasing the activity of some white blood cells, while stabilizing or decreasing the activity of others.* Quercetin is most well-known for stabilizing mast cells – the histamine-releasing cells that cause many allergy-related symptoms.* Quercetin also helps maintain a healthy inflammatory response throughout the body by modulating the release of cytokines.*10, 11
Unfortunately, as a natural compound, quercetin is typically characterized by poor absorption into the bloodstream, which is why the quercetin ingredient in Thorne products is provided as a quercetin phytosome. A quercetin phytosome complex enhances the benefits of quercetin by utilizing phytosome technology to optimize the nutrient’s bioavailability.
10. NAC: A top-tier antioxidant for liver and lung health
As a precursor to the antioxidant glutathione, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is used very efficiently by the body to replenish cellular glutathione stores. Although NAC is present throughout the body, the levels of both NAC and glutathione are more concentrated in the lungs and the liver – where they play important roles in lung and liver health.
In the lungs, NAC favorably promotes antioxidant activity and supports the lungs’ normal inflammatory response.12* In the liver, NAC helps maintain normal antioxidant capacity, thereby protecting the cells of the liver.* In addition, through the donation of its sulfur content, NAC supports the normal detoxification function of the liver.*
11. Methyl-Guard Plus®: Essential Methylation Nutrients
Healthy methylation is necessary for good health because methylation keeps homocysteine levels in check, as well as facilitating multiple biochemical processes involving neurotransmitter synthesis, detoxification, cardiovascular health, eye health, muscle health, bone health, and redox balance.* Maintaining a desirable level of homocysteine in the blood has joined maintaining healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels as leading biomarkers for good cardiovascular health.* Preventing an undesirably high level of homocysteine is also associated with maintaining bone, female reproductive, cognitive, and neurological health.* Adding Methyl-Guard Plus to a supplement regimen supports methylation with a single formula – providing five essential methylation nutrients – methylfolate (5-MTHF), active B6 (P5P), active B2 (R5P), active methylB12 (methylcobalamine), and betaine (trimethylglycine) – for optimal methylation support.*
- Hu Y, Ehli E, Kittelsrud J, et al. Phytomedicine 2012;19:861-867.
- Kong W, Wei J, Abidi P, et al. Nat Med 2004;10:1344-1351.
- Wei W, Zhao H, Wang A, et al. Eur J Endocrinol 2012;166:99-105.
- Zhang Y, Li X, Zou D, et al. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008;93:2559-2565.
- Zhang H, Wei J, Xue R, et al. Metabolism 2010;59:285-292.
- Yin J, Xing H, Ye J. Metabolism 2008;57:712-717.
- Zeng X, Zeng X, Li Y. Am J Cardiol 2003;92:173-176.
- World Health Organization. Calcium and magnesium in drinking water: Public health significance. Geneva: World Health Organization Press; 2009.
- Cuomo J, Appendino G, Dern A, et al. J Nat Prod 2011;74(4):664-669.
- Li Y, Yao J, Han C, et al. Nutrients 2016;8(3).
- Chirumbolo S. IADT 2010;9(4):263-285.
- Dekhuijzen P, van Beurden W. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2006;1(2):99-106.