Introducing RecoveryPro – For Sleep and Recovery Support*
Why is sleep important?
Sleep is essential to protect mental and physical health and general quality of life. When we sleep, the body is repairing damaged muscles and tissues and promoting new growth, while also processing memories and information in the brain, and releasing important hormones that regulate our body’s normal functions.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential for good health in general, including tissue repair and recovery; but zzz’s can be elusive:
- Seven of 10 adults experience so much daily stress that it disrupts their nightly sleep.2
- Two-thirds of athletes report worse than normal sleep the night before a competition, and the number of players who report sleep disturbances doubles during the season compared to the off-season.3
- Student athletes who sleep less than eight hours per night are 1.7 times as likely to suffer an injury.4
RecoveryPro™ – for sleep and recovery support*
RecoveryPro is a unique blend of alpha-lactalbumin (whey), natural-source GABA (PharmaGABA®), and well-absorbed magnesium bisglycinate in a chocolate-flavored powder that mixes easily in water and tastes great hot or cold.
When taken before bedtime, RecoveryPro:
- Supports restful sleep*
- Optimizes nighttime muscle recovery*
- Enhances lean muscle mass*
- Lowers cortisol to modulate stress*
Who can benefit from RecoveryPro?
- Athletes of all types – from elite athletes to high school athletes to weekend warriors
- Anyone who has trouble sleeping*
- Individuals who need help coping with stress*
- The elderly or anyone who needs muscle strengthening support*
Three unique ingredients
Whey protein – 90% alpha-lactalbumin
- More than twice as much tryptophan (an amino acid that supports restful sleep) than whey protein isolate, and supplementation of alpha-lactalbumin increases serum tryptophan levels*
- High in cysteine, an amino acid that enhances glutathione levels and has been linked to performance improvements*
- Great source of branched-chain amino acids needed for muscle repair*
- Nighttime consumption – clinically studied to help modulate stress, improve morning alertness, and support memory*
- A calming brain neurotransmitter, it acts like a brake during times of runaway stress*
- Supports restful sleep*
- Induces a relaxed but focused state of mind*
- When combined with whey protein before bed, it promotes lean muscle mass*
- A crucial factor in the production of ATP, which provides energy for the muscles*
- Promotes restful sleep*
- Relaxes smooth and skeletal muscle*
- Research indicates that a low magnesium level contributes to a low melatonin level*
What is the science behind the ingredients in RecoveryPro?
Protein, when taken prior to sleep, has been shown to increase muscle mass and strength. Studies on a specific protein, alpha-lactalbumin, consumed prior to bedtime show it also supports restful sleep, modulates stress, improves morning alertness, and benefits cognitive function.* Several studies show alpha-lactalbumin consumption increases blood levels of tryptophan (a precursor to 5HTP and serotonin), which might be the mechanism of action behind the associated benefits.*
In one study, consumption of alpha-lactalbumin prior to bedtime improved mental alertness the next morning, presumably by improving sleep.*5 In the participants with a history of poor sleep, this translated to improved behavioral performance.*
In a second study, alpha-lactalbumin compared to a casein diet significantly increased blood levels of tryptophan.* In stressed-out participants who took alpha-lactalbumin, their cortisol levels also decreased while coping improved (as measured by improved mood under stress).*6
And in a third study, also comparing alpha-lactalbumin to a casein diet, participants in the “vulnerable to stress” group who took alpha-lactalbumin experienced improved cognitive function (memory) under stress.*7
A natural source of GABA (PharmaGABA) has been shown to promote restful sleep, which in turn can support athletic performance.* In a 2016 randomized, placebo-controlled trial, a small group of poor sleepers were given either 100 mg of PharmaGABA (the amount in one serving of RecoveryPro) or a placebo 30 minutes before bedtime for one week. After a one-week washout period, the substance protocol was reversed. As measured by EEG, there was a significant decrease in the time it took to fall asleep in the group taking PharmaGABA compared to when they were taking the placebo.*8
A clinical study found this form of GABA increases the production of alpha waves in the brain, creating a profound sense of physical relaxation while maintaining mental focus.*9 In contrast, the stress-related beta waves in the brain were decreased.* In addition to changes in brain waves, PharmaGABA has been shown to produce relaxation, as evidenced by increased levels of salivary secretory immunoglobulin A (sIgA) in a group of volunteers placed in a stressful situtation.*9
PharmaGABA and Whey Protein
In a recent study on the effect of nutrient supplementation on muscle mass, 21 males, average age 39.5 years, who did not exercise regularly, were given a daily dose of 10 grams of whey protein or 10 grams of whey protein plus 100 mg of PharmaGABA for 12 weeks. Subjects took the supplement within 15 minutes of completing exercise training or before bedtime on non-exercise days.
Both groups participated in twice-weekly, 60-minute strength training sessions that consisted of leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, chest presses, and pull-downs. Total body lean muscle mass increased significantly in the whey protein plus PharmaGABA group compared to the whey-only group.*10
Magnesium depletion is associated with a low melatonin level and disruptions in melatonin circadian rhythms.*11 Thus, supplementation with magnesium will likely increase melatonin levels and/or improve circadian rhythms.*
A study of older adults – in which half reported difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep – showed that supplementation with magnesium had a significant positive impact on sleep time, sleep quality, and melatonin concentration.*12
Magnesium also appears to be positively associated with increased muscle mass and strength, as found in a study of women of all ages.*13 And in a double-blind study of 25 professional male volleyball players, 350 mg of magnesium daily for four weeks significantly reduced lactic acid production compared to the placebo group.*14
If sleep is an issue for you, then consider the at-home Thorne Sleep Test – an easy test to perform in the comfort and privacy of home. It removes the guesswork by tracking melatonin and cortisol levels at four different times during a 24-hour period.
- National Sleep Foundation: Sleep in America Poll. https://sleepfoundation.org/media-center/press-release/annual-sleep-america-poll-exploring-connections-communications-technology-use- [Accessed 2.7.18]
- Anxiety and Stress Association of America. Stress and anxiety interfer with sleep. https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/related-illnesses/other-related-conditions/stress/stress-and-anxiety-interfere [Accessed 2.7.18]
- Juliff L, Halson S, Peiffer J. Understanding sleep disturbance in athletes prior to important competitions. J Sci Med Sport 2015;18(1):13-18.
- Milewski M, Skaggs D, Bishop G, et al. Chronic lack of sleep is associated with increased sports injuries in adolescent athletes. J Pediatr Orthop 2014;34(2):129-133.
- Markus C, Jonkman L, Lammers J, et al. 2005. Evening Intake of alpha-lactalbumin increases plasma tryptophan availability and improves morning alertness and brain measures of attention. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81(5):1026-1033.
- Markus C, Olivier B, Panhuysen G, et al. The bovine protein alpha-lactalbumin increases the plasma ratio of tryptophan to the other large neutral amino acids, and in vulnerable subjects raises brain serotonin activity, reduces cortisol concentration, and improves mood under stress. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71(6):1536-1544.
- Markus C, Olivier B, deHaan E. Whey protein rich in alpha-lactalbumin increases the ratio of plasma tryptophan to the sum of the other large neutral amino acids and improves cognitive performance in stress-vulnerable subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;75(6):1051-1056.
- Yamatsu A, Yamashita Y, Pandharipande T, et al. Effect of oral ?-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administration on sleep and its absorption in humans. Food Sci Biotechnol 2016;25:547-551.
- Abdou A, Higashiguchi S, Horie K, et al. Relaxation and immunity enhancement effects of ?-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administration in humans. BioFactors 2006;26:201-208.
- Sakashita M, Nakamura U, Maru I, et al. Combined oral intake of GABA with whey protein improves lean mass in resistance-trained men. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2016;48(5 Suppl 1):54.
- Durlach J, Pagès N, Bac P, et al. Biorhythms and possible central regulation of magnesium status, phototherapy, darkness therapy and chronopathological forms of magnesium depletion. Magnes Res 2002;15(1-2):49-66.
- Abbasi B, Kimiagar M, Sadeghniiat K, et al. The effect of magnesium supplementation… elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Med Res Sci 2012;17(12):1161-1169.
- Welch A, Kelaiditi E, Jennings A, et al. Dietary magnesium is positively associated with skeletal muscle power and indices of muscle mass and may attenuate the association between circulating C-reactive protein and muscle mass in women. J Bone Miner Res 2016;31(2):317-325.
- Setaro L, Santos-Silva P, Nakano E, et al. Magnesium status and the physical performance of volleyball players: effects of magnesium supplementation. J Sport Sci 2014;32(5):438-445.
+Offer is a 15% discount on any quantity of RecoveryPro purchased through March 2018. Can’t be combined with other offers or discounts. Offer expires March 31, 2018. For online orders, enter code RECOVER18 in the coupon code section at the Checkout page or provide this code to customer service if ordering by phone. The 15% discount will be applied to eligible items prior to shipping.
Get weekly Take 5 Daily
News, featured products, and stories delivered right to your inbox.
More from Take 5 Daily
Thorne's Whey Protein Isolate is NSF Certified for Sport®. It provides 21 grams of protein per serving from an easily assimilated, non-denatured whey source. It features a balanced amino acids prof...